Homeless Services Coordinator
Dr. Greg Wyman
State Coordinator for
AZ Dept. of Education
PUSD Homeless Education Policy
If your family lives in any of the following situations:
- In a shelter, motel, vehicle or campground
- On the street
- In an abandoned building, trailer or other inadequate accommodations
- Doubled up with friends of relatives because you cannot find or afford housing
Then, your preschool and school-aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act
Your children have the right to:
- Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. They must be given access to the same public education, including preschool education, provided to other children.
- Continue in the school they attended before you became homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice and it is feasible. If a school sends your child to a school other than the one you request, the school must provide you with a written explanation and offer you the right to appeal the decision.
- Receive transportation to the school they attended before your family became homeless or the school they last attended, if you or a guardian request such transportation.
- Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
- Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
- Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
- Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling your children.
- Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.
- Receive transportation to school and school programs.
Homeless Newsletter and Information